Okay, so you've all heard of SPF (and if you haven't, I don't think I can help you), but many people are confused when they see a UPF label on clothes. Don't be. UPF simply means Ultraviolet Protection Factor and refers to the amount of UV protection you get from clothing or fabric. The great thing about using UPF clothing as a first line of defense against the sun is that, unlike sunscreen, you don't have to worry about fading, rubbing or reapplication. The downside to UPF clothing is that it can be hot (and I don't mean sexy). It's made from either a tight weave fabric that has inherent protection because UV can't penetrate the weave, or the fabric has been treated with chemicals that reflect or absorb the UV rays. Either way, breathability is the key. I have searched long and hard to find UPF clothing that isn't hideous. Ladies, it's not on this list unless I wear it. Here's what I've got for you...
- Mott 50's Long Sleeve Crew Neck- I have to say, this shirt is really yummy! It's 92% Bamboo which makes it incredibly soft and cool. Pair it with cargos or a long skirt and no one will even know how sun smart you're being!
- Mott 50's Emily Zip Jacket- I know, you're thinking "who wants to wear a jacket when it's 100+ degrees!" Again, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how cool the bamboo is.
- Mott 50's Classic Legging- Black, tight, soft and cool. Enough said.
- Exofficio's ExO Dri Long-Sleeve Crew- Basic long-sleeve tee, dri-release technology, soft and UPF 20+. There is also a short-sleeve version.
- Exofficio's Trip'r Check Long-Sleeve Shirt- Collared dress shirt style, lightweight, quick dry, UPF 30+.
- Coolibar's Unisex Long-Sleeve T-Shirt- Soft, breathable, basic tee. Give your kids a Sharpie and have them customize it - then they'll want to wear it for sure!
- Sun Precautions Kids Super Active Shirt- I admit, it's not the most attractive shirt, BUT it's super breathable and perfect for an afternoon of sports.
- K&J Short-Sleeve zen T-Shirt- Yes, they are short-sleeved, but these shirts are super soft, chemical free UPF 50+ with cool graphics. Sizes 0-24 months. Some shirt styles go up to size 6X.