Camp Gets Protected
For most kids, school is out and summer is slowly building to the awesome roar of tropical vacations, sleep-away camps, surf lessons and horseback riding adventures. Protecting your kids from the sun is challenging, particularly if they're out on their own for the first time. Here are a few tips for an easy, sun-safe summer for all!
The first step in a successful burn-free summer break, is talking with your kids about the importance of sun protection. If you haven't already, take the time to explain how essential sunscreen is for the health of their skin. The earlier you start incorporating sun protection into your kids daily routine, the more likely they'll be to continue these patterns as they get older and become independent. We can only slather them up for so long! Before you know it, they'll be swatting your hand away and insisting they can do it better, faster, blah, blah, blah!
The next step in warm weather protection is finding sunscreen that your kids love...or at least tolerate. Sunscreen sticks and sprays are faster, easier and just plain more practical for camp situations or application on the run. Practicality is key. Yes, in the perfect world, our kids would take the time to thoroughly apply a thick, white, mineral based sunscreen. They would love us for keeping them safe - hug us and write "thank you" notes every time we remind them to put on a hat and sunglasses...but this will never happen!
After trying dozens and dozens of sunscreens on myself and my girls, here are my current top picks for sprays and sticks. But again, remember, it's all about personal taste. Go with what works for you and your family!
- MDSolarSciences SPF 41 KidStick: Mineral based, great for lips, face and hands, water resistant for 80 minutes, and fragrance free. It does have a slight white appearance, but it goes on really smooth.
- Vertra Elemental Resistance SPF 28: Amazing texture and it comes in three colors. It's water resistant and even the white stick goes on transparent.
- Waterman's Applied Science SPF 55: Order it in skin tone and you'll be chalk-free! I use this when I paddle board and, when applied often enough, you will NOT get sun. Great for kids with medium skin tone.
- Solar Sense Clear Zinc Body Stick SPF 50: It's like deodorant for your face! This stick is great because it's literally the size of a stick of deodorant. It goes on quick and has a subtle fresh scent. Contains green tea and aloe.
- Coola Sport SPF 35 Pina Colada Spray: 97% organic, water resistant for 40 minutes and non-nano. This stuff smells so delicious you're going to crave a blended Pina Colada for sure!
- MDSolarSciences SPF 40 Quick Dry Body Spray: Non-greasy, very water resistant and fragrance free.
- L'Oreal Sublime Sun SPF 50+ Crystal Clear Mist: Non-greasy, ultra water resistant, infused with anti-oxidants and available in most pharmacy's.